Friday 20 August 2010

Love Is (RCA Secret 2009)


Every year the Royal College of Art in London puts on an exhibition of thousands of postcard-sized artworks. The show is called the RCA Secret and all of the works are on sale for £40 each (but will be £45 this year). Some of the postcards are by famous artists, some are by not so famous artists and some are by RCA students (past and present). And every year people queue up (sometimes for days, if not weeks, before hand) to buy a maximum of four cards each, once the sale starts. The catch however is that you only find out which artist’s artwork you have bought once you’ve paid for it and have been handed your purchase. But, if you have a good eye for art and do a bit of research, like some chaps I know (you guys know who you are), you are pretty much guaranteed to get some nice pieces.
Every year I enter some work and this drawing is one of four cards that I showed last year. It was inspired by the sprouting sections of some old potatoes that I found at the back of my fridge. Last year I produced a signed edition of 400 postcard-sized screen prints that I handed out free to people queuing outside the show. I hope to do something similar this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment