Saturday 30 April 2011

Art House Co-op Sketchbook Project (Page 33)

Here’s the 33rd page of my forty page contribution to the Art House Co-op Sketchbook Project that is currently touring various galleries and museums around the US.


It’s a drawing of an idea I had for a sculpture that is basically a long-legged version my Nail Box piece (see photo below). I like messing about with proportions and am quite interested in unstable structures so in this drawing I gave the nail box unnecessarily long and spindly legs.


I probably got the idea from the time that I exhibited Nail Box at an art fair in Battersea, London a couple of years ago. The piece was mounted on a tall plinth that placed the work at roughly shoulder height. The only problem was that every now and then one of the sculpture's protruding nails would snag on the strap of a passer-by's bag and decide to go with them. I had to keep a close eye on it the whole time and always managed to catch it just in time but it was a bloody nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment